If you want to microdose magic mushrooms one option is to grow magic mushrooms yourself. In Europe, you can buy so-called “ready-to-grow kits”, making this process incredibly easy. On this page, you’ll learn how to grow magic mushrooms.
The easy way—with a mushroom grow kit
If you want to grow magic mushrooms, you can buy a special grow kit at our partner webshop Microdose.nl. In that case, you don’t need any previous experience, and in a short period, you’ll be able to prepare many microdoses for microdosing.
Why choose a mushroom grow kit?
- Time–your first harvest in 3-4 weeks
- Simplicity–you only need clean hands and tap water
- Quantity–from one grow set, you will get 200 grams of fresh mushrooms
- 100% legal–psychoactive mushrooms cannot be sold in Europe, but the spores are allowed!
Steps to how to grow magic mushrooms (with kit a grow kit)
1. The preparation
Make sure you have everything you need to grow magic mushrooms. Don’t worry. It’s actually not that much.
- Magic Mushroom grow kit
- Disinfectant soap
- Rubber gloves
- Heating mat
2. Getting started
Mushrooms come up in flushes, which are called flights. On average, you can get about three flights from one Magic Mushroom grow kit. The number of flights depends on how hygienically you work during the preparation and harvest.
- Disinfect your hands and forearms
- Put on the rubber gloves
- Follow the instructions enclosed
- Place the grow tray on a heating mat. We recommend keeping a constant (minimum) temperature of 72-77 °F (22-25 °C).
- With the right temperature, you can harvest the mushrooms after about two weeks. When the temperature is lower, the mushrooms grow slower, and the harvest is about four or even five weeks.
- For the first two days, place the grow kit on top of two pencils above the heating mat. This way, the heat will be distributed more evenly, preventing the mycelium from boiling dry.
- After two days, turn the heating mat off or lower the temperature to shock the mycelium
3. Dropping the temperature
When the pinheads emerge, place the grow kit in a colder place for a night, for example, in the shed or basement. The ideal temperature is 72 °F (22 °C). The temperature drop gives the mushrooms the idea that autumn is approaching, causing them to form extra mushrooms. This results in a faster harvest and higher yield.
4. Observing for harvest
Usually, not all the mushrooms from one flight are ready to pick at the same time. The moment of harvesting is critical, so pay attention; it’s better to harvest too early than too late. The Magic Mushrooms are ripe when the veil under the cap starts to tear. If one mushroom has opened, it’s best to harvest everything immediately.
You can also only pick the ripe mushrooms and leave the smallest ones longer. But the more often you put your hands in the bag, the higher the chance of bacteria getting into the grow kit, thus a higher risk of contamination. That’s why picking in one go is preferred.
If you leave mushrooms in the grow kit for too long, they will drop their spores from the bottom of the cap, and everything in the grow box will get covered in spores. You don’t have to remove or wash them off as they are not harmful
5. The harvest
- Always wear rubber gloves
- Don’t breathe into the bag
- Pick the mushrooms by grabbing them at the base with two fingers (index finger and a thumb) and slowly turn them clockwise until the mushroom releases. Never pull a mushroom straight up! This way, you damage the mycelium and risk it will no longer grow mushrooms.
Tip: It might happen that some mushrooms will grow in between the transparent container and the cultivation medium. Leave them where they are. If you try to remove them, you can easily damage the mycelium. To reduce the chance of this ‘erroneous’ growing, wrap the outsides of the plastic grow tray with tin foil, preventing light from reaching the sides, and fewer mushrooms will grow there.
6. The next flight
When you’ve picked the last magic mushrooms from your flight, you can redo the steps to start the process again.
- Fill the container with water, cover it and place in the fridge for 12 hours
- The cold shock activates the mycelium to produce one more flight
- Keep repeating these steps until no more mushrooms grow; you can expect three flights from one grow kit (or even more if you’re lucky and handled the box with care)
- Frequently, the following flights will be smaller
Now you know how to grow magic mushrooms, it’s time to learn how to prepare them further for microdosing . There is also the option of learning how to grow magic mushrooms without a grow kit: